Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Did It!

I did it. Yep I completed my first official race...well let's not call it a race at this point. I signed up for a 10k run 2 months ago in hopes of it forcing me to get into some sort of shape. The 10k was this morning in downtown Royal Oak.

I am by no means bragging about my time, because it did not win any awards, but I finished and am still walking. FYI..A 10k is 6.3miles and it took me 1hr and 18 minutes. I walked a lot of it but I still feel like I accomplished something I have never done before. The part that I know you will laugh at is that I have always watched triathalons on TV and just love it when the runners take a cup of water from the volunteers, drink it or poor it over their heads and then just throw the cups on the ground....Today I was able to do just that..I know I know..simple things huh...

I left my house at 6am this morning, stopped off for some coffee and headed to the race site. My friend, Jillian met me there and was kind enough to stay at my pace. She could have done it so much faster but she wanted to keep me going. I am a bit sore this afternoon but very glad I did it. I have a lot of work to do to knock time off ...... maybe another one in the future.

3 comments:

Heidi Hockstra said...

Congrats Heather! I know you worked hard to be able to do this!

Lani said...

Way to go!!

Kelly said...

That is so awesome! Congrats!! I feel so inspired...I hope it lasts. ;)