Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Trick To Keep The Triplets To Sleep Longer

Not really a trick but a cheap way to keep em sleepin...

I tried this with my twins and it worked like a charm so the other night I was thinking about different things and all of a sudden it came to me again.... I put garbage bags over the windows. I know it sounds kind of crazy but it works like a charm. I never open the windows in the baby room and the blinds are always closed since they just sleep in there. I got the large black industrial garbage bags and covered the windows. I used 2 bags for each window and just taped the top and sides of them. You can't tell that I did this (this is why I love it) because you tape the bags directly to the window and then pull down your other blinds and then pull the shades or curtains over all of it. It is almost scary how dark it makes it. You will definately need a night light if you don't have one already in the room. I will tell you that it works because I have added an additional hour of morning sleep because of it. We were waking around 6:30 or 7am and the last 2 mornings it has been 7:30 and 8am. No lie this really works. They even tell adults to get good sleep by making their rooms dark and quiet. I know what the next question is...
What if you train them to only sleep in complete darkness..what do you do if you are somewhere else and it is not completely dark. Well with the twins I did this for awhile and then eventually slowly removed 1 garbage bag at a time to transition them back to some daylight in their rooms. I find that babies naturally wake up when the morning light comes into their rooms...that is great for adults but I love it that it keeps them quiet and comfortable for just a little longer. That is my tip of the day.....

3 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

hmmm *wheels are turning*

I wonder if I shoudl just be grateful for the 12 hours I already get and not push for more though. LOL It sounds great, though!

Team Darnell said...

We covered the windows as well! It's great to help with the time changes and they nap SOOOO much better when it is dark. I have also found that they still sleep well when we travel. I highly recommend this as well!

Helene said...

We never covered windows until the first time we went through Daylight Savings when Cole and Bella were babies. All of a sudden we panicked knowing they'd be awake bright and early if we didn't find a way to keep their room dark. So we got those dark shade coverings and put them over their blinds (and to ensure that no light came through, my husband duct taped the shade to the wall!!)

It worked like a charm!