Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Road Trip From ....You know where!

We had our first road trip from what I call...hell on Sunday.  We had to go to Grand Rapids for the Hockstra Christmas and we could not miss the older kids sunday school.  Eamon and Liam have their first communion in the spring and they are pretty rigid on how many misses you can have without having a "talking to".  The Christmas started at noon but we couldn't leave the metropolis of Detroit until 11am.  This is a 2.5 hour trip so you can see that we will be late.  We get everyone piled in and I am driving.  I like to drive for several reasons...

1.  We get there in a reasonable time
2.  I always think that it will make me not have to get everyone everything for several hours..My answer can be "ask your dad cause I am driving"
3.  Driver controlls the radio
4.  I am in control

Well we started our trip and David had his Sunday paper in hand and his coffee ready to go.  The funniest thing is that he thought he had 2.5 hours of pure ...ahhhhhhh...WRONG.  It doesn't take long to hear ..Dad we want a movie, dad we are thirsty, dad we are hungry.   cry cry cry..dad why is the sky blue...more crying and whining.  "David the babies are crying could you please give them a cracker or a bottle ..please"..."David I packed a bag of sandwiches and snacks, can you give them to the older kids".  Each time he gets ased,  he patiently lifts the paper off his lap, unbuckles his seatbelt, tells me to keep er straight and then he gets up on one knee and turns to the back of our vehicle to solve whatever is needed at the time.  This went on and on so he must have put his paper down 6 times and then I started laughing.  He was so funny. "what are you laughing at" he says.  I am laughing at how you get comfortable and then you have to unbuckle and start over.  He looks at me and begins to whine like the babies and says, "Make Colin stop whining? Make everyone stop asking for things".....He thought he was in for a la de da trip...NOT

By the time we got there and got home that evening David and I were exhausted.  Eamon and Liam wanted to put up the Christmas Tree, Mairin was tired and cranky, The babies had food all over them because everytime they made a peep..we stuck something in their mouths.  The last 45 minutes of the trip we ran out of food so we just turned up the radio louder and started singing to dround out the crying........I am laughing as I tell this story because I have to say that my husband is a great sport in these moments of high stress and high anxiety...He really has a way of making you laugh...

3 comments:

Sally said...

this really could have been so much more different (not for the better)!

Myrna said...

As always you make a tough situation positive because you can see the humor in it. I bet David will asked to drive next time!

Heidi Hockstra said...

This so sounds like a typical Mott road trip. I have to laugh hearing about David getting comfortable. It was a long trip in a little bit of time...perhaps not again!