...How I (A Mom of 6) Survived The First Year With Triplets and Twins and A Single.....
Twins-Eamon and Liam -7 years old
Single- Mairin - 4 years old
Triplets- Colin, Declan and Finn - 1 year old (12/17)
1. Stay Ahead of the Curve. Anticipate what they will need or want next as to avoid the breakdown of 3 babies at once.
2. Share everything. I have experienced twins and now triplets so I say to share pacifiers, bottles, sip cups, toys, spoons etc. Do you really think that they will not share a cold???? Never has happened in my house. Sharing makes your life much more simple and peaceful at many times.
3.Let Everyone Hold Them. Share share share. Whenever someone wants to hold them ..I let them. You can't afford to have stranger fears when you have 3 babies
4. Leave The Room Often. Set up their space where they are safe and leave the room often so that they get used to you coming and going. Start this early so that you can actually go to the bathroom or make lunch in a little bit of peace. 3 babies grabbing at your pant legs is probably the worst thing ever.
5. Bedtime is Bedtime. I make bedtime between 7 and 8pm and I do not rock (how do you rock trips anyway). Put them up in their cribs and turn off the lights. I shut the door and that is it. Start this routine early and life only gets better and better.
6. Crying is Ok. Babies do cry and triplets cry too so just accept it and chalk it up to just part of your day.
7. Put Babies On My Schedule- All of my babies were on my schedule. I want them to wake up around 7am since I am up anyway with the older kids, I want them to take a nap in the morning and afternoon (for now). Their afternoon nap needs to go until at least 4:30 since the boys get off the bus at 4:10 and I need some time to say hello to them and to get them a snack and situated. The babies go to bed for the night at 7 or 7:30 so I have some time with the older kids and to clean up and get ready for the next day.
8. Make Everyone Help Out- I make sure that the older 3 have an active role in helping out with the babies. They are all part of the family and everyone needs to help out. The older 3 will watch the babies while I make dinner, take a shower, take out garbage etc. They are becoming very good at taking care of them.
9. Know When To Split Them Up. When naps start to get shorter and shorter set up the pack n plays in different rooms and split them up for naps. I find that each kid needs different sleep and they have different sleep patterns. As soon as I split them all up the naps all got longer again.
10. Keep Livin. Of course your life has to change a bit with triplets but continue to do what you can. We are limited but we still try our hardest to go places and do things even as a huge family. The winter's are much harder than the summer.
There they are. This is what I believe has made me a good mom and a sane mom. This is definately not the style of everyone but it is my style and has worked great for me and for my family.