Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How I Survived The First Year With Triplets

Our first year is over and  I know year 2 and 3 with triplets is bound to be much worse but before we dig into year #2 why not throw out the reasons..I THINK...we all survived.  This should actually be:

...How I (A Mom of 6) Survived The First Year With Triplets and Twins and A Single.....

Twins-Eamon and Liam -7 years old
Single- Mairin - 4 years old
Triplets- Colin, Declan and Finn - 1 year old (12/17)

1. Stay Ahead of the Curve.  Anticipate what they will need or want next as to avoid the breakdown of 3 babies at once.
2. Share everything. I have experienced twins and now triplets so I say to share pacifiers, bottles, sip cups, toys, spoons etc.  Do you really think that they will not share a cold????  Never has happened in my house.  Sharing makes your life much more simple and peaceful at many times.
3.Let Everyone Hold Them.  Share share share.  Whenever someone wants to hold them ..I let them.  You can't afford to have stranger fears when you have 3 babies
4. Leave The Room Often.  Set up their space where they are safe and leave the room often so that they get used to you coming and going.  Start this early so that you can actually go to the bathroom or make lunch in a little bit of peace.  3 babies grabbing at your pant legs is probably the worst thing ever.
5. Bedtime is Bedtime.  I make bedtime between 7 and 8pm and I do not rock (how do you rock trips anyway).  Put them up in their cribs and turn off the lights.  I shut the door and that is it.  Start this routine early and life only gets better and better.
6.  Crying is Ok. Babies do cry and triplets cry too so just accept it and chalk it up to just part of your day.
7. Put Babies On My Schedule- All of my babies were on my schedule.  I want them to wake up around 7am since I am up anyway with the older kids, I want them to take a nap in the morning and afternoon (for now).  Their afternoon nap needs to go until at least 4:30 since the boys get off the bus at 4:10 and I need some time to say hello to them and to get them a snack and situated.  The babies go to bed for the night at 7 or 7:30 so I have some time with the older kids and to clean up and get ready for the next day. 
8. Make Everyone Help Out- I make sure that the older 3 have an active role in helping out with the babies.  They are all part of the family and everyone needs to help out.  The older 3 will watch the babies while I make dinner, take a shower, take out garbage etc.  They are becoming very good at taking care of them.
9. Know When To Split Them Up.  When naps start to get shorter and shorter set up the pack n plays in different rooms and split them up for naps.  I find that each kid needs different sleep and they have different sleep patterns.  As soon as I split them all up the naps all got longer again.
10. Keep Livin.  Of course your life has to change a bit with triplets but continue to do what you can.  We are limited but we still try our hardest to go places and do things even as a huge family.  The winter's are much harder than the summer. 

There they are.  This is what I believe has made me a good mom and a sane mom.  This is definately not the style of everyone but it is my style and has worked great for me and for my family. 

8 comments:

Angela said...

Fabulous post! I'm glad you were able to put that into words! I agree with everything you wrote down, especially the bigger kids and your schedule and living life! Can you email me at bkmomang@aol.com, cause I'd love to leave this post as a link on our blog if you're ok with that. I was too tired to write much from last year other than a baby book update. I still can't believe you have a skating rink in your backyard! Too Cool!

MamaOtwins+1 said...

PERFECTLY Worded! And if you keep it up - you may be crusin through years 2 and 3!

Beth said...

Perfect! I have a 4 yo singleton and 16mo quads. I agree completely with your list. I think having older kids has shown us that babies are adaptable. They will adjust to our schedules and bed and nap times if we keep them consistent. Crying isn't deadly. All Moms expecting multiples (or 1 baby) should read this. It just makes life much simpler. Great post!

Hoity Toity Baby said...

Love your blog! I'm a Mom of twins. Not quite the group you're raising but still busy!

I'm a follower for the long haul! I'd love for you to stop by my little site!

Myrna said...

This is a great post. I am going to print it and give it to young women I know with young children or babies on the way!

Kate and Maya said...

I love it! What a great post and great advice.

Congratulations on surviving and thriving during the first year with triplets!

Dorinda said...

I totally agree :) We did the same with all the kids and now that we're into year 3 with the trips we still do it and seperating for naps is a MUST! I'd seperate for bedtimes if I had enough bedrooms... Keep up the great work!

Caitlin said...

Hi! I've just discovered your site via The Friesen Funny Farm. Great tips - I'm eager to learn all I can at the moment while pregnant with triplets so I can hit the ground running when they arrive!