Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Life As A Momma Bear

I never thought of myself as a protective momma bear but I stopped today and really thought about it.  I am like a momma bear taking care of her cubs and quite frankly it is not something that I force myself to do ..it is just how I am wired.  Why is it that when I am so tired I still will get up and get one of my kids a glass of milk?  Why will I get up in the middle of night if I think one of my babies isn't feeling well.  Why do I spend most of my days in the kitchen cooking one meal after another?  Because I am a momma bear.  This is such a simple concept but everyone out there who is a mother I think will understand everything I am saying...There is this unconditonal love that just happens and you really can't explain it other than you would do nearly anything for your kids.  I never understood all of the things that my mom did for me until I became a parent.  I never understood why she loved me when I would be the meanest teenager out there.  I had my first set of twins when I was 28years old and it really wasnt until they began school that I began to understand all that my mother did for me.  Everyday as they get older and older I get a bigger and better picture of what a "mom" does and how much I appreciate my mom.

Who else (other than your kids) are you?
-Never competing with
-Never jealous of their accomplishments
-Always wanting them to do better than you did
-Spending whatever time necessary to improve them in some way
-Making sure they eat the right things, say the right things and do the right things
-Giving them money or paying for stuff they want
-Spending your whole younger life worrying about how you will pay for their education

This is all pretty deep if you really start thinking about it.  I am very proud to be a momma bear of 6 wonderful cubs.  Happy Sunday Everyone

2 comments:

Helene said...

This is a wonderful post and it's something I've been giving a lot of thought too but on a different kind of spectrum.

My mother wasn't the classic kind of mother..she was very self-absorbed and selfish (she still is).

One of my biggest fears in becoming a parent was that I was going to lack that maternal instinct...that need to want more for your children than you have, to want a better life for them that you had and to love and protect them so fiercely that you would give your own life for them.

I wanted children so desperately but that was always a huge fear of mine. Needless to say, I obviously got past it...I'm not sure how I ended up so different from my mom but I'm so glad I am!

Beth said...

Great post! How true. I have always loved and respected my Mom, but since having my own lil' cubs, I have a whole new appreciation for all she did and sacrificed.
My first Momma Bear protective moment was still in the NICU. My 17yo nephew came to visit the babies. He got a twinkle in his eye and leaned over Paige's isolette. I didn't know what he was doing, so I grabbed his shoulder and hissed, "if you scare her I will kill you." I am not violent and typically don't make death threats, but at that moment I completely meant what I said. He was just being goofy and whispering that he was her favorite cousin. I felt bad after, but don't mess with a Momma Bear's Cubs!