Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Poured Myself a Drink At 6pm

Do you like that title? 
I had a rough evening and really nothing sparked it at all but everyone knew very quickly to stay out of my way.  I was feeling a little tired in the late afternoon and while the babies were napping I tried to lay down on the couch for 30 minutes and "rest my eyes".  In that 30 minutes you would have thought that I had moved out and stopped feeding my little darlings.  Mom I am hungry? Mom can I have some water? Mom I want to go outside? Mom the computer is not working?  I was about to lose my mind so I decided to take a deep breath and smile.  That lasted about a minute so I got up and started to get some sandwiches made because the boys had a hockey game.  Liam started crying that his throat hurt so much that he couldn't eat so I sent him up to my room for bed and tv.  Mairin wanted to go outside and Eamon would not get off the computer long enough to get his hockey gear on.  I made the decision to keep Liam home from hockey and when I announced that ...the flood gates opened and the whining started.  It got louder and louder and I got grumpier and grumpier.  Did I mention that there are also 3 babies that are running lose in this house with 3 magazines in their hands (or should I say what was left of my expensive unread magazines that arrived today) so I have pages and tiny pieces of magazines all over the main floor of my house.  Heidi immediately senses my frustrations and graciously says she will take Eamon to hockey (she knows that I am not very fun to be around when I hit this mode) so I pack them up and as I am waving goodbye to them, Mairin begins to walk up from the backyard crying cause she wanted to go too (she wanted to go outside and knew that if she went outside that she could not go to hockey) too bad Mairin you missed out.  I come back inside and Liam has decided to move into the kitchen and is crying, telling me that he wants to be at hockey.  I finally get in touch with David and he is going to be at the game.  Then I get a call from Heidi..noone is at the hockey arena?  What?  I call David and he says, "they are at the wrong arena".  I respond with, "than you call them".  I got off the phone and Liam's volume has increased and it almost sounds fake cause it is that annoying whining.  I lost my cool and said, "if you can't stop crying than you need to go to your room.  The game has already started and the subject is closed".  He trots upstairs and I realize that now the babies have gotten into more stuff in the living room.  Colin is laying across the computer keyboard while there are hundreds of screens popping up. (note that we have a small computer table and station set up in the living room so he is not that high off the ground), Declan is rocking back and forth in front of the window laughing at god knows what, Finn has managed to get completely inside of the dog cage and has his leg caught so he can't get out.  Clearly it is time for dinner and time for a flippin drink before I bite off someone else's head and before I lose my mind. 

3 minutes later........

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a couple of sips and a calmness slowly comes over me.  I do think that it is time to go change some diapers.  Wonderful, lovely, precious children...come come lets play together.  (what the...where did that come from?  where is that mean mommy that was just here 3 minutes ago?)  Anyway I don't think I have ever had a drink in the evening, by myself, during the week ..ever but rather than take out my frustrations on my husband when he walks thru the door I think that this is a nice bandaid for today.  Disclaimer....don't call child protective services cause I had a drink, don't call me or text me cause you want to make sure I am "OK", don't roll your eyes and think less of me because I am only doing what everyone has thought of or has done in the privacy of their own home at least once in their life..especially when their kids were young. 
Oh did I mention that today was a snow day with NO SCHOOL.  Ahhh..that explains even more doesn't it.

5 comments:

Novabella said...

Funniest. post. ever.

I don't have kids but this post totally took me into your life. Cheers!

Heidi Hockstra said...

Oh Heather, I laughed out loud reading this. I know you are glad to have us out of your hair today and back to the normal routine.

Kimberly & Alex said...

i understand

Harry and Myrna said...

I cracked up when I read this because you are almost always unflappable! What a great post.

Savvy Little Women - Kate said...

I think this is the funniest title I have ever seen...hahahaha!!