Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One of My Biggest Fears About Triplets

Last week I was finishing up some things in the kitchen, it was around 4:10pm.  The babies were up and walking around, the older boys had just gotten home from school, Mairin woke up from her nap and all was good.  The older boys wanted to go outside and play and of course Mairin followed.  I helped get them all ready to go out and then I returned to the kitchen.  It was a sunny day with a temp of close to 50 degrees outside.  It was about 10 minutes later when Mairin came bursting in through the garage door crying. "Mom mom I tripped and fell and look at my hands".  She was covered in mud so I began to clean her up in the kitchen.  As I was putting a bandaid on her hand Heidi walks in from work and says, "Heather, why is Declan out in the driveway"?  (This is a very very hard story to tell because it really does show just fast these babies can get away from me.)  As I went out to get him, Eamon was carrying him in.  Declan is our crawler still so luckily he didnt go too far too fast.  The worst part for me though was that I didn't even realize I was missing a baby.  Many scary thoughts of course are racing thru my head.  "How am I going to manage this summer"? "Wow this is going to be harder than I ever thought it would be"? 

On Monday I decided that I needed to take the babies outside and see how it would go.  Mairin was riding her bike so I knew I had backup but I didn't anticipate what I was in for.  Colin immediately took off with a huge smile on his face, Finn was right behind him with a smile.  Declan isn't completly walking on his own so I was holding his hand.  It wasn't but a minute that Colin had made it to the end of the driveway.  I put Declan by the step and then headed off with a slow trott that turned into a run to grab him before he was in the road.  While I am running I am saying, "Colin no Colin no"  Not working.  I finally get Colin and bring him back to the house and while this was happening Finn is heading to the other end of the driveway.  I ran to get him and then Colin had taken off again.  I told Mairin to get Colin and between the 2 of us we got them into the garage long enough to shut the door.  Mairin was crying because she was tired of holding Finn.  I just sat down on a chair in a daze and thought to myself about what was going to come.  I am literally scared to death of summer coming.  What am I going to do?  I can't live inside..... 
We came in for lunch and I insisted that Mairin take a nap so I told her I would lay with her for a minute.  I ended up falling asleep and awoke ...startled because I had a nightmare.  Mairin and I were walking in a parking lot and she had roller skates on.  She was a couple cars in front of me and all of a sudden someone grabbed her.  I was reaching in the car to pull her back but I couldn't save her.  It was probably one of the worst dreams I have had in a long time. 

I am struggling with the thought of losing my kids and I need to really get a handle on what is going to happen this summer.  I talked with David and I think we have agreed on a fence in the backyard so that I can at least know where they are.  I need to work with the older 3 to pay more attention to keeping the doors closed and quite frankly I probably need to stop multi tasking as much and keep a closer eye on my escape artists.

I have experienced twins and a single but I will tell everyone out there that this is beyond what I had expected and I am afraid it is only getting worse for at least the next couple of years.  Triplets are something completely different and although I am excited for them to walk I think I am going to regret that wish.

9 comments:

Christy AKA Trippin' Mama said...

Heather,

Sounds like a fence would help keep you sane! We have a big yard and no fence, and I'm working hard on the boys to stop when I say stop, and also to turn around. I don't say "No," because they hear that so much that I don't think they really know what I mean. STOP seems to work better.

We love to play in our long driveway, so we are going to get one of those orange safety gate/nets (Toys R Us has them) to keep the kids from getting into the street and also it's a good visual to them that they can't go further than that.

Good luck!

Christy

Patty said...

I had a fence when all three my boys were younger. WOW!!! I'd really do that....put all the outside stuff in that fence...swingset, wader pool...lawn chairs and you will be able to sit down, relax and enjoy YOUR summer too. Please, Please get a fence. Let us know what you decide. I think this will help you alot!!!

Patty said...

Then when your husband is home to help or a friend....you can do the driveway toys...rider stuff for in the driveway.

Angela said...

I think a fence will give you a space you can safely let the babies be outside and feel some peace about it. Peace of mind, baby. This is a big fear of mine as well. I plan on putting up a gate between the hall and garage door as extra protection to keep babies from the garage. One thing I would try is for you to take one baby out in the front and work on boundaries. Doesn't have to be outside even. One book I read has us start with "blanket" time to instill boundaries. Put them on a blanket with 2 toys and work on 1 min, then 2 and so on. This is sooooo hard, but I can totally see the benefits of it and I definetly need to be doing this inside now!

I just braved going to the park by myself and letting 3 babies out at once. I started one at a time and we were the only ones' there, so I could really use my Mommy voice to teach them to stay within the cedar shavings area. I had to use a swat, just once, for each baby when they crossed over. This is a huge concern of safety for all of us with mobile multiples this Spring. I hope to visit this park, could be any area, and master the boundaries some before summer. But by then all of ours will be running....Bribery with M&Ms anyone???

Sally said...

holy crap...I really had no idea how intense this was. The story totally sucked me in and I was totally there with you. I am just in awww, but I think the fence is the best idea.

Kimberly & Alex said...

you're scaring the crap outta me! lol

Beth said...

Yes, it really is scary to think about how out numbered you are when you are talking about real dangers. Last fall, when my quads were about your trips' age, I took them out and it was a nightmare like you just described. I had run and grabbed Izzie and Drew as they were taking off up the street, when I turn and see Paige about to walk off the edge of our planter. I had no hands left, so all I could do was run over and use my foot to knock her to her butt. Yes. I kicked my child out of harm's way. Life with hom is not always pretty. More kids than hands is tough. The good news is, we have gone out several times in the last week and they are listening much better and respecting the boundaries. I know that this doesn't help you now, but it will get a bit easier. I think getting a fence is your best bet for this summer. You can do it. You and all of your children will survive (and even enjoy) this summer!

Heidi Hockstra said...

Heather, you are a great Mom and will do what you need to do to make sure everyone is safe. Hang in there!

Marcia said...

A fence and lots of help will get you through the summer. Like Heidi said, you are a great Mom and I know you'll figure it out!!!