Friday, August 27, 2010

Twin Trouble AND Room Makeover.

My husband had to go out of town this week so last week I planned out an eventful couple of days...when the cat is away the mice will play.....On Tuesday I needed to get some sprinklers going so that I don't continue to have my grass burning up.  I don't know why but it really bothers me.  I know...we should get a sprinkler system but they are so expensive...I asked Eamon and Liam to watch the triplets for me for 15 minutes.   They said yes so I went out and took care of the outside.  I come back in and Liam greets me with, "mom the triplets got into the garbage"....Liam has his baseball glove in 1 hand and has a ball in another...completely tuned out.  I answer with, "oh no they didn't"...."you were in charge so I know they didn't get into the garbage".  It took me about 30 seconds to get very angry.  The triplets were standing in the kitchen with yesterday coffee grounds and yogurt all over them...the floor...the wall and the cabinets.  I let loose on Eamon and Liam.  No TV, no baseball and lots of chores today.  They immediately knew it was gonna be a bad day.  I sent them outside to pick weeds.  When they came inside I sent them to their rooms to clean.  I made them clean the basement, garage and bring down their laundry.  It was 2.5 hrs later and I ran out of things for them to do so basically I was out of punishment.  They did everything I asked and were very good.  I sat them down and we talked about what went wrong.  I explained that making a mess is nothing compared to what they could get into.  They could pull a knife down off the counter and cut themselves, they could get something out of a cupboard and hurt themselves.  I think Eamon and Liam got the point of what I was saying.  They were very sorry and promised to be more attentive next time.  (NOTE:  I don't leave my 8 year old twins in charge of my triplets but I do expect and ask them to help out.  They are part of a large family and in a large family everyone helps out and pitches in.  I never leave the house and leave them in charge.  I merely run outside and do little jobs that take no more than 10 to 20 minutes)  I let them watch the baseball game that night and all was well.  They learned a lesson and I got to vent my frustration.   

Wednesday night I had my friend Sally over with her kids.  Heidi and I made dinner and we had an evening of dinner and kids playing.  Heidi even got out the old fashioned ice cream maker and made ice cream for everone.  We got a bug to start my upstairs renovation at 7:30pm at night.  I have a 4 bedroom house and my sister was living with us.  She moved out and left a vacant room so I wanted the triplets to move into the large vacant bedroom and move Mairin out of the boys room and let her have her own room.  We had to dissassemble 3 cribs, a queen bed and relocate closets for 4 children.  I put the trips to bed in pack n' plays around the house and turned a movie on for the other 5 kids.  By 8:30 we had moved all 3 cribs and the queen.  Heidi and I finished Mairin's room makeover yesterday and she has done nothing but tell me how much she loves it.  She goes up there and just sits and looks around.  I had so much fun doing it. 

6 comments:

Mary said...

Love your daughters room. Very Girlie, I need to get my big girls rooms, more big girl looking and less baby looking. :) You are inspiring me. :)

The Buckley Family said...

Hi Heather, I haven't met you yet but am also in the HOM group. I wanted to tell you what a beautiful picture of the 6 kids walking, sprang an idea for me for this fall! : ) Also, what a great bedroom for your little girl, I can't believe how quickly that came together! Hope to meet someday!

Jamie

Angela said...

Cute, Cute, Cute = The room! Aggghhhh = Triplets in garbage!

April said...

Love the room!!

Christina said...

Wow, beautiful!!!

the logan crew said...

Wow, Super Woman! Very impressive :-) I'm the same way, when I get an idea, watch out! Love that your daughter gets her own room. I can't wait for the day I get to decorate a pink room! Bummer about the mess but great punishment for the boys...sounds like they won't let it happen again :-)