Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Table For 9 ..Please!

Last night we were all sitting around the family room, playing with the triplets, twins were playing amongst us as well and Mairin was coming in and out while doing something else.  David springs up and says, "lets go out to dinner"?  My first thought was, go ahead and I will stay with the trips but then I looked over at Heidi.  3 adults and 3 kids..we can do this.  It was 6:45pm on a Saturday night and we packed em all up and off we went to the restaurant.  David could sense my panic as I was the one who was trying to pick the perfect place where we wouldn't bother anyone.  David picked a little mom and pop type diner and we unloaded and went in.  I want everyone to know that this was only our second time out to dinner with all 6 kids.  WE NEVER DO THIS.   (we did this once before and it was just David and I, we had a couple of meltdowns, lots of looks and quite frankly it really wasn't worth it)  The older 3 held the hands of the trips as we walked in and I said, "table for 6 with 3 highchairs, please".  They scrambled to find us a place and in the meantime there were several, "you have your hands full" comments.  My goal was to make it to our seats quietly and get the order in.  They put us in the back with another family and it was perfect.  The wait staff catered to us and Heidi had a couple of treats for the trips too.  Everyone orders and the trips devour their food, as we are finishing up I notice that Colin is getting just a little restless so I pull out the bag of dum dum suckers that I brought and that did the trick.  The suckers held the trips off long enough to throw in some conversation and for everyone to clear their plates.  We thanked everyone and made our way to the door...all 9 of us . In the middle of the parking lot I gave my husband a huge kiss and said, "thanks for taking us out to dinner..it was fun".  I felt normal, I didn't feel like we were the family that everyone was starring at.  It was really a great night.  We probably need to do it more often.

I am able to write this post this morning because my husband woke up this morning and told me to stay in bed while he got up with the kids.  Lets just say.....He really really rocks.

4 comments:

Heidi Hockstra said...

Wow, I am so impressed that David got up this morning with the kids..he does rock! Dinner last night was fun...glad I could be a part of your outing!

Tina Michelle said...

How sweet! that sounds fun to get out and try new things especially if they have pleasant endings!

Janet said...

Congratulations! I only have two and I know how big of an accomplishment this is! Here's to more dinners that you don't have to cook!

Romantic Dinner said...

Wow very nice and great your planning really i inspire in your thought . best details shared in the post so thanks