Sunday, July 17, 2011

FOOD

I was in awe so instead of being in shock by myself I took a picture to be able to share.  To all the parents out there who have older boys this is probably nothing to you but since I am just beginning this endeavor I thought it was something to take note of.  This was just a regular dinner; grilled chicken breast, green beans, asparagus, mashed potatoes and cantaloupe or watermelon. They ate everything on their plates and even had another snack before they went to bed.



I probably cook dinner at least 6 nights out of the week.  The only take out that we really do is pizza and we rarely go out to dinner (all 8 of us).  My grocery bill is huge and now with school being out I feel like it only gets bigger when everyone is home all day.  I am in amazement at the amount of food my boys can put away.  I purchase burger in bulk and I patty it out myself and I am putting 9 patties in a bag for a dinner.  Chicken breasts are a minimum of 9 for dinner as well.  We are a 2 package hot dog family now too.  We always have a few leftovers but they seem to be gone by the next day when someone packs it for lunch.  The amount of fruit that I buy is crazy.  I tend to buy the little apples because it provides a little less waste when Liam wants an apple and then 5 others see it and want it too.  A dozen apples provides 2 snacks for our family.  Don't even get me started on cereal.  I think cereal is out of control.  I clip more coupons for cereal than anything else.  The variety changes constantly because of what is on sale.  The kids can clear a box in one morning.

I do struggle with running out  of ideas of what to make.  I am constantly online searching for new creations.  I have to be careful at this age to have things that are not all mixed together. They do much better when items are separate rather than casseroles with everything mixed up.  They love lasagna but many times I keep things simple to keep the kids eating. 

Popcorn is another family staple.  We have popcorn 4 or 5 nights a week and I do buy it in bulk from the eastern market and pop it the way my grandfather did.  Eamon loves popcorn the most he can pack it away.  I am sure this is just the beginning of what is ahead and I am sure by the time the kids are grown I will be a super cook and probably hate it after years and years of it but so far it can be a bit of a challenge to put together a meal with some pazazz and get my Eamon to say, "that was the best dinner ever".

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Can't remember how old these guys are but I have a 14 year old nephew who is tall and thin. My parents went out for breakfast with his family today and she couldn't believe how much he eats. His sister is off to college this year and his mom said that is ok as then he can just eat her share of the food.

JT said...

Just started following your family's blog. We love it! My wife and I are parents of Triplet girls who are just turning 5! And we have a teen who will be 17 in January! Nice to know there are others out there like us going through the same things.

Bed and Breakfast Brugge said...

Yummy Food ! Good Looking Boys .

Online Shopping said...

Colorful Food and Kids good looking

7afedd1e-e8bf-11e0-9e03-000bcdcb5194 said...

Check out www.5dollardinners.com they have a ton of great, simple recipe ideas. I don't even try to go for the $5.00 per meal goal (food prices where I live just wouldn't allow for it) but the recipes are super!!