Saturday, September 10, 2011

10 Years Ago Today

It was just 10 years ago today when I had a doctors appointment that I went to on my own and found out some exciting news.  I called David and told him to come home from work a little early because I had something to tell him. He came home, walked in the door (a bit agitated) and said, "what?"  I told him that I was preggo. We both were a little shocked and of course it really doesn't sink in at first because your life goes on as it did the day before.  It becomes a waiting and day dreaming life..waiting and waiting for your life to change. 
 I often think back to the days of just David and me and how "la tee da" we were.  We would sleep in late and have all sorts of time to do whatever.  I remember the days of a clean house, laundry always caught up and a schedule that would move and groove with us.  Every Sunday after church we would grab a paper and head out to breakfast.  We would read our sections and enjoy each others company but there was never much conversation as we were both digging into our reads.  We had so much time on our hands that we were known to drop in on the in laws just to be a part of their chaos.  I loved showing up at Tom and Pam's and just sitting at the kitchen table while everything was happening around me.  They have 4 kids and the kids were 6 to 12 years old at the time.  Pam was always cooking a fabulous dinner and the house was just rattling with busy kids.  There were always papers on the table, folders full of schedules that Pam had to remember.  Tom was usually in the family room enjoying a minute of down time.  Little did I know that roles would soon flip and Tom and Pam would be coming over to my chaos 10 years later.

10 years ago today we only knew that we were preggo....the twin news was to come.

It was about 2 weeks later when I returned to the doctor and because of my "whatever" levels were  multiplying so fast they sent me for an ultrasound.  I went right over to the hospital, had my first of ultrasound (1st of many I might add,  I have had more ultrasounds than most will ever dream of having.  I even had ultrasounds while we lived in Mexico)   and found out that I was preggo with not 1 but twins.  I called David again at work and I didn't realize that he had someone in his office so I just started talking.  He knew I had a doctor's appointment but didn't know I went over for an ultrasound.  I told him we were having twins and he said, "What?  your kidding? No way".  In the background this man in his office is listening to his comments and he told David after he got off the phone that his first thought was that we were being attacked again since 9/11 had just happened 2 weeks earlier.  Well thank goodness we were not being attacked again but instead we were bringing a set of twins into the world.

This past week with all of the 9/11 memorials we have taken some time to look back and think about all that has happened in the past 10 years in our lives.  Our blessings are truly over flowing.  A set of twins born at 38 weeks (no labor and no contractions)....a single daughter born at 39 weeks (no labor and no contractions) and triplets born at 36 weeks..6 days (no restrictions, no labor and no contractions).  I am a mother of 6 beautiful children and I have no idea what a contraction even feels like.  Labor pains???? I have no idea what those are....

We have done a lot in the past 10 years and in 10 more years we will have twins entering college. Now that is a reality check.

2 comments:

LaTosha said...

That is amazing! My water broke three weeks early with Mairin and I experienced 52 hours of labor stuck in bed, unable to get up, not even to use the restroom and all but the last 4 hours were completely pain med free. Consider yourself blessed!

Heidi Hockstra said...

Wonderfully amazing....great post!