Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Toothless Wonder Triplet

It was only 9:30am on Saturday morning and I had just poured myself a cup of coffee, cleaned up the kitchen from pancakes and was ready to do the morning chill when it all happened.  Declan came upstairs holding his mouth and he had a handful of blood and was screaming.  I sat him at the kitchen sink and took a look.  I cannot even describe what it looks like to see 2 front teeth just minutes ago and then all of sudden all I can see are nubs.  It was almost like I was looking at something I couldn't figure out.  I am serious when I say that all I could see of his 2 front teeth were tiny nubs up in the gums.  It looked like when you lose a tooth and the next one is popping thru.  I called for Eamon to come upstairs as he was playing with Declan.  I asked Eamon what happened and he said that Declan was playing with a beach ball and it flew out of his hand and he fell and hit the chair. 

I had Eamon watch Declan and I went downstairs to look for teeth, see if there was a blood trail and try to make sense of this little event.  I saw a wet mouth mark on the chair (clearly the point of impact) and I felt around and there was no sign of teeth.  I am still confused at this point.  I am still thinking that they must have broken off.  Eamon is crying at this point.  He thinks that it is his fault and he feels terrible.  I told Eamon, "sweetheart I am not mad at you at all, I just need to know what happened and I am a little panicked".  I get Declan a wet rag and he seems to like it on his mouth.  I have David take a look and I think David was more panicked that I was.  He almost got sick to his stomach.  "Call the doctor".  I am so so blessed that we have a family friend who is a pediatric dentist so I just so happened to have their home number.  Fran answers the phone and tells me that every pediatric dentist is in a conference today.  (the story of my life).  She offers to text her hubby, daughter and son-in-law (all ped dentists) and so I wait.  I send a couple of pics and after a couple of back and forth the ruling is...

Do not go to the ER.  We have seen this before.  It looks much worse than it is.  The front teeth did not break off but rather were jammed back up in his mouth.  Come on in this week for an X-Ray and lets make sure there is no damage to the permanent teeth.  It will take about 6 months for the teeth to come back down. (great I have a toothless 2 year old for the next 6 months..family pictures anyone)

We took X-Rays on Monday and yep they were right.  Now we just need to watch and make sure there are no infections and see what happens.  Can you believe that your teeth can go back up in the gums this far and then come back down again?  Only a Mott can try this one out.

Now I have 1 triplet with chipped front teeth...1 triplet with no front teeth and 1 triplet who is bound to do something to his front teeth.  Arggggggg......

BTW...Thank you so much Fran, Elizabeth and Sam for hooking me up on a weekend and making me not sit in an ER for the afternoon.  Thank goodness for Derby Lake friends....
















The e

1 comment:

Janet said...

Wow! How scary! Glad to hear that everyone is ok!