Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Life As I Know It Is Coming To An End

They are going to make me crazy.  I wont admit it to just anyone but I am scared.  I woke up at 3am to commotion going on in the room down the hall.  Light was peering from underneath the door and I was sound asleep.  I start walking down the hall with an increased pace and as I open the door I see 3 little devils laughing and sitting up.  Declan had gotten out of his crib, turned on the light and had jumped into Finn's crib.  They were having a party at 3am.  I grabbed Declan and scolded him as I dipped him back into his crib.  They all accepted the fact that they were being naughty so thankfully it was silent after I turned the light off and shut the door. 

It took me awhile to get back to sleep because I could not stop thinking about the fact that life as I know it is about to change.  We are coming to the end of cribs and I don't think I am ready for it. I was trying to layout a plan as I was laying in bed.  I could put 3 mattresses on the floor and leave the cribs up and threaten if they don't stay in their big boy beds that they will have to go back to their cribs.  I could get rid of cribs all together.  I really don't want to do either.  Can't they just stay in cribs until they are five...LOL..Let me explain my issue with losing cribs.  The older kids get on the bus at 8:05am so I get them up and out before I go up to get trips.  I don't know if I could handle all 6 trying to make lunches, breakfast and everything else you do in the morning preparing for them to wake up.  I also am dreading the freedom that they would have on Saturday and Sunday mornings when I am not ready to get up and I can hear them playing and chatting together in their room.  Many mornings it buys me 30 minutes.  They sounds so crazy to most but some of you out there will completely know what I am talking about.  They are not quite old enough to play quietly or go downstairs and watch TV  until mom gets up. (dreaming I know)

 Previously that night I put the trips to bed at 8pm and at 9pm I went in to find the lights on and 2 of them out of their cribs.  As I opened the door it was like ants scattering underground.  They both ran to their cribs and simultaneously you saw 2 rear ends up in the air as they both dived into their cribs.  I didn't have to say a word.  I did use the, "oh noooooo ...oh nooooooo...mommy is very upset, getting out of our beds is danger"  (I have been told to use the word danger instead of  "no" all of the time so they will learn things are dangerous...not really sure if it works.)  I zipped up the crib tents and left the room.  They were crying because I wouldn't cover them back up but I wasn't going to tuck everyone back in and encourage this crazy adventure that they are into.

Yes I said crib tents.  Yes there are crib tents on all 3 cribs but since I refuse to buy new ones... they are getting rough.  There are holes in them and since they don't fit perfectly over sleigh beds there is a small gap in the front.  Declan knows how to slip through it and he is the one who unzips and lets the other ones out.  Teamwork right. 

3 comments:

undomestic chica said...

I do not envy you! I only have twins, but they've just learned to pull themselves up in bed, I can't imagine having more mobile children. I've heard dental floss can be a good temporary fix for crib tents.

Kimberly said...

Oh NO! what a tough transition. my quads got out of their cribs just before they turned 2. ugh! so we just went to toddler beds then.
best of luck to you!

Linda R. in FL said...

I think as a first try to save my sanity I would replace Declan's tent.... might be worth the investment since he seems to be the "ring-leader". Good luck!