Friday, February 24, 2012

Twins, A Momma and A Single Skiing

I haven't been skiing in years.  I took my first ski trip up north in college with my dear college roommate, Erin and her family.  It was the best thing ever.  I remember thinking how could I have lived so many years and not have experienced something so fun.  I was taught to ski the right way (the Frederick way).  Erin and I drove up north to Boyne where her parents had a place for us to stay, they bought us the crazy ski hats, treated us to dinners and drinks all weekend and it was just a great time.  I then continued to take some trips while I was dating my DH (dear husband).  Several of his friends had condos so we would all pile in and ski during the day and sip cocktails into the evenings.  It was again a great experience.  It was not until I was married and I actually realized that skiing is a very expensive sport.  It wasn't until this past Tuesday that I really really realized that a family with 6 kids probably should pick a different past time. 

We are on break this week. (good lord, break really......... do we really need another week off in the middle of the miserable winter so that I spend my time trying to entertain children who are bored to tears?  We still have spring break coming in April.  I propose we get rid of one of these weeks and make everyone a bit happier and the checkbook a bit heavier) I decided to teach the older 3 kids the fine art of skiing on Tuesday.  We left the house by 9am and off to Mt. Holly we went.  We arrived and I am not going to lie.  I was calculating in my head just how I was going to teach these 3 how to ski when it has been 10 years since I have been skiing myself.  We paid (oh and did we pay....we don't own the equipment either so I took a deep breath and slid over my credit card thinking...this better be worth it and I hope these kids love it)  I got the 3 all situated and I overheard a dad asking about lessons.  I stepped a little closer and realized that instead of private lessons, if you had 3 people you could have a group lesson (ahhhh haaa..the first benefit of having multiple children at this moment).  I decided to get them an hour lesson just to give them a fair shot at liking this activity and to keep my patience level low especially if we were going to be here for the next 6 hours.  The instructor took them out to the hill with all of their gear while I went back in and paid for my ticket and rentals.  I was able to hit some of the hills on  my own and get back into the groove before my children saw me. 


The hour class is all they needed and off we went.  We quickly moved from the magic carpets, mastered the tow ropes and managed the ski lifts.  Eamon and Liam were doing well getting the feel of the skis and practicing what they were taught.  Mairin was keeping up with no problem and every time she would fall she would pop right back up and continue. (I warned everyone in the car that there would be no crying.  This was going to be frustrating at times but no crying was allowed). It was nearing the later afternoon when Eamon and Liam begged me to let them go to the bigger hill that had the speed lift.  I decided to let them go and they were in heaven.  They must have gone down that hill 30 times.  They did frustrate me when I observed them at the top of hill getting into their squatted position with their poles tucked neatly under their arms.  It was like they were doing what they see on the Olympics or how they have to compete on the Wii.  There were a couple of wipe outs by Eamon but other than having all of his gear spread 30 feet in different directions, on the side of a mountain it was no big deal.  He quickly figured out how to gather his gear and put it all back on.  Liam generally would wait for him at the bottom but never stop his momentum mid run.   Mairin got to the point where she wanted to ride the chair lift by herself and she wanted to do it all herself.  I found myself riding up alone and trying to ski with her on the way down.  She was such a little trooper and I must have told her a hundred times how proud of her I was. I really expected Mairin to get cold, want to go in, get bored etc, but she proved me wrong.

I had to beg them all to leave and promise that we would come back someday. (it was 4:30 and we had hockey practice at 6pm..thank goodness I grabbed the hockey gear and threw it in the car because we went from the ski hill to hockey practice.  I was secretly wondering if they would collapse with all of this activity for one day.) Eamon and Liam both said it was the best day ever and little Mairin insisted that she is now a good skier.  I was completely happy, satisfied with everything for the day.  I don't get to do things like this with the older 3 so as we were buckling up to head out I turned around and said, "Hey guys thanks for going with me, I had a lot of fun hanging out with you today".

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks like a great time! I love to ski with my boys too but definately to expensive to become a regular family activity!

Amanda said...

Looks like a great time! I love to ski with my boys too but definately to expensive to become a regular family activity!

property dealer in Delhi said...

nice family i love this family