Thursday, April 19, 2012

True Confessions Of A Stay At Home Mom

The mornings start too early, naps are never long enough and bedtime doesn't ever come quite quick enough...The constant call of "mom" throughout the day makes you want to change your name.  Mealtimes are messy and full of arguments.  The vacuum bag is constantly needing to be changed and is often in repair due to odd items being sucked up.  Laundry is a constant chore and just when you think you are caught up........the hockey gear smells again or someone has thrown up all over a blanket or best of all....a diaper leaked.  It is a full time job keeping milk and bread in the house and the struggle of coming up with new dinner ideas is mind blowing.   I spend my days fixing food and cleaning up after.  I am on my knees picking up toys more times in a day than most people ever think of spending on the floor. My life is all about staying ahead of the curve of chaos.  I have helped out with more spelling tests than you can count and have spent countless hours sitting on the bathroom floor begging for a tinkle or a poo poo in the midst of potty training.  I can put on a diaper standing up, fill a sip cup with 1 hand and juggle a coffee mug while walking triplets through a parking lot.  I have eyes in the back of my head and don't plan on getting away with much when I'm around. 

I can rip thru my house and clean it up faster than anyone and I am a queen of getting stains out of clothes.  I'm not as organized as I would like to be but I can usually locate anything anyone asks for.  I am queen of my castle and enjoy a clean, quiet castle.

I am not going to lie...I lose my temper, I yell, I slam cupboards and I do all of the things that you are "not" supposed to do.  I spank and I give plenty of time outs.  I allow some arguments to escalate in hopes of letting them figure it out on their own.  I expect the older ones to help entertain the little ones when it has been a rough day.  I demand a strict bedtime during the week and a clean basement prior to going to bed.  I insist that the older ones help around the house with chores and take care of their personal belongings. 

It is not easy running a household with 6 kids but it works and it works well.  There are hard days and there are days when I can tear up with pure joy.  It is truly something that can put you over the edge but there are enough moments that make it all worth it. 

Declan looks at our wedding photo and says, "mommy you a princess", Colin goes back and forth with me saying, "no, I love YOU more", Fintan requests that I hold his hand and sit with him just to be close.  Eamon is always saying, "mom you are the best mom ever". (this comes after I make a tasty dinner or a huge bowl of popcorn right before bed)  Liam always initiates a hug and Mairin will always say how much she loves her family.  The biggest compliment of all is hearing that they are "nice" kids.  I never thought I would get such a high watching my kids succeed in something whether it be a sport or school.  I can get very emotional when one of my kids is complimented or when one of them is in pain. 

David will often ask in jest, "which one would you give back"? when I have had a long day.  I think the question is perfect because it makes me realize that I could not live one day without any of them.  He will also say, "someday we will look back and wish we could come back to this for just 1 day" (really?  I doubt it but maybe since I am in the thick of it I find it hard to believe right now). 

But for now I will continue on with my daily routine and look forward to the moments of awww that keep me going.   I will continue to appreciate my husband for working so hard so that I can be a stay at home mom and raise a new generation of citizens.  No one ever said it was going to be easy but the fun does out weigh the bad.  Here's to another day of surprises!

Eamon, Liam, Mairin, Colin, Declan and Finn.....You ARE the reason I wake up everyday!....and you are the reason I collapse at night and wish for sleep.

No comments: