Thursday, September 13, 2012

Balance Bikes..I am Sold!!!!

I am sold and I wish I would have discovered this with my first three children.  This past Christmas I came across these little bikes at Costco that had no pedals.  They are called balance bikes and if you search for them you will see there are all kinds out there.  The theory behind them is that if you let your little ones ride them they will learn the balance of a two wheeler quicker and easier.  They are forces to keep their feet on the ground and push themselves forward.  These bikes are normally so expensive so when I saw them at Costco under $25.00 I couldn't resist.  I didn't know how they would really work so I picked up 2 of them.  They have been in the garage ever since and some weeks they are ridden more than others.  The triplets started riding them and before I knew it they would lift their feet up and just coast along.  They would ride these along with their tricycles and I really didn't think anything of it.
Yesterday I pulled out one of Mairin's old two wheel bikes, lowered the seat and asked the triplets to put on their helmets.  Her bike was free from training wheels so I put Colin then Declan and then Finn on the bike and told each of them to pick up their feet and pedal.  It was the coolest thing ever.  All three of the triplets immediately started pedaling and off they went.  I ran behind them for awhile with my hand ready to help and it wasn't long before I was able to just stand and watch.  There were no falls and they were so excited.  I remember how much time it took running behind each of the older ones trying to teach them to balance.  I was shocked and excited for them.  I am proof that these pedal free bikes are worth every penny and they do work.  Not just one triplet got it down....all three of them did.   Today they couldn't wait to get outside and practice.  They have now mastered turning around in the driveway while still pedaling.  Check the box...it is done.
video

No comments: