Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Water and How It Makes People Uneasy

Took the triplets to the pool several weeks ago.  Lifeguards on duty and the pool is full of kids playing around.  I still hesitate introducing them into situations where it might make others uneasy.  My nerves start to loosen up and we are playing in the water.  I still insist that they wear their floaters, not because I  think they can't swim but because I am aware of others.  Low and behold my wonderful Declan is on this kick where he loves doing the dead man float face down.  It is not long before I glance over to see him face down and holding his breath.  I wait, knowing what he is doing and as I wait I see the eyes of two lifeguards locked on him.  See this is what I am talking about....I'm uneasy about others.  He pops his head up with his almost white sun bleached hair all wet and his goofy look behind his bright red and black goggles.  He looks at me all proud as he has just spent time in his favorite place...underwater.

I noticed that this pool offered swimming lessons for little ones so I signed all 3 up.  I talked with the instructor prior to the class (who is also a lifeguard) and told her that I wanted her to test them out and push them to see what they could do.  My thought is to introduce them to pre team next year. (pre team is nothing more than an activity that they can do while the older ones are swimming.  I am not prepping them for the Olympics but simply looking for activities.).  She takes each of them for a 30 minute lesson and gets them to swim a fair distance.  At the end of the lessons she tells me that they are strong swimmers and definitely ready for pre team.  I'm relieved and I lean down and tell her, "Ok good ...so now when we come to swim without our floaters maybe you can pass onto the other lifeguards that they can chill and that their while knuckles make me nervous".  She laughs and says, "yes I will.  We do get nervous when we don't know the kids and what their swimming abilities are ".  Oh you don't have to explain to me.  I watch the lifeguards when we show up.  They all get into their ready position.  I mean you should see us coming.  I usually have a large bag full of 6 towels.  Can't forget the clothes to change into after and all of the goggles, swim floaters and a couple bottles of sunblock.  Sometimes we need some snacks, drinks and then maybe some toys to play with.  Then there are my things that I need which are often forgotten because I am too busy getting everyone else's stuff together.  Now that we have arrived...I try to remember to take everyone on a trip to the bathroom before we get in or I will spend the next hour making everyone get out of the water each time one has to go.  We set up our area and usually by this time we have an audience. I set up my assembly line for sunblock application.  It is like a well oiled machine.  They all know what to do and when to turn around.  Close your eyes, close your mouth..ok you are good to go.  Wait a minute till it dries. This is about the time when people are looking and counting the number of children that are with me.  People see that I am 1 adult and there is a mass of little people surrounding me.   "Oh my, look at that poor women with all of those kids".  "She doesn't have any help?".  "She is not going to let all those kids in the water". "I don't know if that is a smart idea".  You know people are saying it.....you just can't hear it.  It is all going on while we are unloading.  I really prefer to blend into situations and not stand out.  I have had to learn that having 6 kids is never a way to blend in.  I'm sure it really gets people talking when I decide not to get into the water with the kids.  I'm not going to lie that sometimes it is fun to look around and catch people watching.  Ahh...It is just another day in the life of twins, trips and a single.

2 comments:

ladycatherina said...

Hi - it's true, six kids tend to gather attention ;) I remember swimming lessons, hope they all have fun!

I'm Cristina with New Year Publishing, suggesting a book that would make a great gift for babies and toddlers, and would be wonderful for you to review in your blog:

Teenage author Paris Morris' My Twins' First Halloween, the newest title in her best-selling children's series about new siblings.

We at New Year Publishing offer plenty of family-friendly titles, highlighted by our line of children's books, the My Friend Paris series, which would be great for parents or grandparents to read to children about to have a new baby sibling. They are also just plain fun books, for any time. Please let us know if this interests you and we'll send review copies out to you. We're also happy to do giveaways and will ship directly to the winner!

From our press release:

Paris Morris, prolific teen author creating children's books related to family vacations and life with baby twin sisters. Her colorful My Friend Paris series follows a preschooler as she adjusts to her new role as an older sibling, and travels to various places with her family, including Lake Tahoe, San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. The books, inspired by Paris' own childhood experiences, show a preschool girl receiving special attention from her relatives before and after the babies' arrival, and taking on the role of showing the little ones around and welcoming them to the world. She will soon release a new holiday title, My Twins' First Halloween.

Books are available at www.myfriendparis.com for about $10-$12 each.

Thanks again for your interest, good luck with your blog!

Cristina Deptula

www.newyearpublishing.com

www.myfriendparis.com

510-589-8252

Heather said...

Hi Heather! Great name :-) My name is Heather, too, and I was hoping you would be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com