Thursday, April 21, 2016

Multiples Illuminated ...... A Must Read!

It was a regular morning and I was off to visit the doctor for an ultra sound.  It was still early, at just 9 weeks the doctor wanted to check on the 2 heartbeats she had discovered just 3 weeks prior.  I already had a set of twins and a single so although the thought was a bit daunting it was nothing I hadn’t done before.  God had given us a gift and I was going to embrace it.   Stepping into the chilly exam room was all too familiar to me therefore I had no reason to have my husband take the morning off of work to come with me.  I had it covered.  The doctor started some small talk as they always do while they attempted to find the heartbeats.  “Oh there is one, yep and the second one….wait...hold on hmmmmmm.  Let me grab another doctor because I believe we have a third one”. 

Needless to say that was a shock and I think the office was just as surprised as I was.  My husband was blown away and we went from a family of 5 to a family of 8 in just 9 short months.  Who goes through this?  I remember even though I had a set of twins I still headed right to the library to see what I could get my hands on in order to read up on what was going to happen.   I found lots of books on facts and how to take care of babies but nothing about the emotions and all that goes along with Multiples.  I spent 9 months scouring the internet for stories.  I needed to hear about others and how they dealt with the news. I wanted a real book from real people who were in the trenches and lived to tell about it. 

Multiples Illuminated is that book.  I was given this book and devoured it.  My triplets are 7 years old and my twins are 14 years old so although I am not yearning to know what it is going to be like I still loved the read.  It took me back and made me laugh and brought back some of the moments of worry that I had forgotten.  This book brings together a group of women from all walks and different backgrounds and throws them together with 1 thing in common.  What is it like to have Multiples?  It shares stories of outrageous comments in public, internal thoughts, late nights, emotional swings and all things that come from Multiples.  It is real.  There is no sugar coating and no political correctness.  The writing is superb and honest.  The book is laid out into many short stories from many mothers and fathers.  Following the story is a snippet of who the writer is and what the background of that person is.  I was fascinated to read about working moms and stay at home moms and how parents with different backgrounds dealt with news of Multiples. 

The Editors, Megan Woolsey and Alison Lee are household names in the media streams because of their ability to write about their daily family happenings in a funny and very relatable way.  They often appear in my face book feed under Scary Mommy or in a Huffington Post article.  The writers that they gathered for this book, Multiples Illuminated are spot on in their writing as well.  I hope that if anyone is expecting, already has or wants to know all about multiples that they reach out to Amazon to purchase this book.  I will personally get this book for anyone who is having multiples in the future. 

You can purchase this book at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Multiples-Illuminated-Collection-Parents-Triplets/dp/0996833501/

2 comments:

Alison said...

Thank you so much for your review, Heather. Glad you enjoyed the book!

Биржа фриланса said...

VBAZE - автоматизированная биржа фриланса и копирайтинга.
Благодаря VBAZE.com.ua любой пользователь может выставлять на продажу выполненную самостоятельно готовую работу, которая сможет помочь пользователям в других регионах и странах.
Мы предлагаем удобные способы оплаты, и вывод средств с помощью банковских карт, Webmoney, яндекс-деньги, Qiwi и др.
ВБАЗЕ – это ресурс нового поколения, надежный партнер для авторов и сервис, который нужен всем! Заходи на сайт: http://vbaze.com.ua